Monday, April 22, 2013

A-Z Challenge: PQRS

I fell off the challenge wagon. I won't make excuses, but I will use the corresponding letters to recap the last few days that I've been M.I.A.

P is for plane! Thursday, I flew to Syracuse, NY for the IEA National Championship horse show to promote and sell Moonlit. My suitcase was 10 lbs overweight because of books and promo pieces, which cost me a quick $115. Ouch (so I guess P is also for painful.)

Q is for questions. I haven't traveled much solo, and aside from my little launch shindig, I've never done an author event, so I had a whole lot of questions. Luckily, I was sandwiched between the Pony Club table (manned by the CEO - eep!) and the AQHA, which was headed up by Robin, the sweetest lady in life, and a couple of young enthusiasts. They didn't mind my one hundred questions, and I scored a few great takeaways for my next event. The Pony Club customized chapsticks (brilliant!) and the AQHA table had logo pens that they use for collection and exchange. Robin even invited me to come sell Moonlit at the AQHA youth world championships in Oklahoma this August. I am so there!

R is for rhythm. By Saturday, I'd found a rhythm and became more comfortable just kicking back and letting people ask me questions instead of worrying about something catchy to say. I also went to a convenient store on my way and grabbed a bowl and some chocolate, and set it at the far end of the table next to my poster with the cover and summary of Moonlit. People would grab a piece and then glance at the poster. More often that not, I could tell that they stood there longer than they first thought they would.

S is for sold out. I couldn't believe it. Moonlit sold out. So I left bookmarks and a new bowl-full of sweets on my table for the last day of competition and flew home to my family. 350 riders competed at IEA Nationals, and over 100 of them have a copy of Moonlit.

 
I am exhausted. I'm up to my ears in emails, laundry, etc. But it was absolutely worth it. I know not every event will have this kind of ending, so I'm cherishing this trip, and this first week as a published author.

P.S. Several of my students competed at Nationals, and they all did extremely well. I am so proud to be a part of their lives. Congratulations Lexi, Kayla, Emily, Madison, and Maizy on a tremendous season, and for being in the top 25 high school riders in the country for their respective divisions.

3 comments:

  1. Very good at catching up and congrats on your continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good at catching up and congrats on your continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job of catching up and letting us know about your awesome weekend. Congrats! Glad it went so well.

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on, y'all.